Friday, May 2, 2014

How does memory relate to "I think therefore I am"?

Diving into Memories

QUICK WRITE:

A very happy memory I have came along time ago, It was when I went on vacation with my family to Florida. We didn't fly there instead took a little road trip, It was both of my parents and my 3 brothers. We had an amazing time together, laughing playing, sleeping all on the way their. I will never forget it because it was the only time where all 6 of us was together as a family going to another place outside of home. I really am not sure how I would feel if that memory was stripped from me. I can say honestly that I don't remember every little detail about the trip, So for me the memory has already faded just a bit, However it is not completely gone and would never leave my mind. If it were completely removed from my brain I don't think it would exist to me because I would know nothing of it and i wouldn't remember.

Step 1: Listen to this podcast of a Radiolab episode devoted to the science of memory. In this segment of the podcast, Oliver Sacks tells the story of Clive, a musician who suffered “the most severe case of amnesia ever documented.”

Step 2: Complete this 3-2-1 worksheet as you listen. Alternatively, you can take notes using the Cornell note-taking sheet or the Reciprocal Teaching Worksheet available in the classroom.

Step 3: After you have listened to the podcast, discuss your 3-2-1 worksheet with a partner or your class.
 

Final Reflection: You previously interpreted the quote “I think, therefore I am.” Interpret the quote once again as it relates to Clive. In other words, does Clive know he exists? Does he exist? What does all of this say about memory? Finally, what’s your brainy explanation for Clive only remembering love and music? Post this final reflection on your blog.

I really do believe that Clive knows he exists. Clive, although has the most severe case of amnesia ever documented, still has the ability to perform and carry out most duties on his own. Clive also remembers his wife and music, He is very fond of both not from first sight but with touch, feeling, and hearing, He can distinguish them as they are. This proves that his thoughts are still there. An explanation for why he only remembers his wife and the love of music would be very complicated. But it goes without saying that something's in life that you have a true deep love and passion for can never really be stripped from you, Or in other words stays with you forever.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed hearing you explain the story of Clive to--who was it in class? OMG. I have amnesia! Do you think Clive remembers his wife and music out of habit or memory?

    ReplyDelete