Thursday, April 3, 2014

How do we define and understand mindset?

Quick Write:

If you could change any attribute or characteristic about yourself as a student, what would it be? Explain.
I really wouldn't want to change anything about myself as a student to be totally honest. Ive spent most of my time trying to change things about myself as far as being a student goes, But now that i have changed in such a drastic way, All that i am looking to do is improve on what i have already changed. For example i never used to get up early to make it to school on time, Now i do it everyday and it feels great to be able to get up in the morning and go through my daily routine before heading out to school. How would i improve on that? Simple, There are times were i will stay in bed just to get an extra 10mins in but i can always just get up. So its little things like that, In which i can change in order to improve on myself as a student overall.

REFLECTION:

Before you leave today, post a reflection at least one-paragraph in length connecting what you wrote in today's Quick Write to what you learned from your reading so far.

While reading I looked back at my quick write just to see if I what I wrote would connect with this first chapter. Now one thing I definitely learned is that there are 2 different mindsets in which individuals can carry the (fixed and growth) mindsets. I always understood that people could have certain mindsets that would either restrict or let them expand their normal thinking. What I didn't know is that one could have a fixed mindset which in my own interpretation means that one is already well-off and believes there is nothing more he/she can do in order to build on what they already have/know. I always believed that people have what is referred to as a "growth" mindset in that, No matter if they have great or little knowledge that individual will still continue to learn and enhance what they already know. I think both mindsets are connected however, As you can changed from one mindset to the other with reasons. Now this is something I would like to learn more about is that; Why and How would a person change from a growth to a fixed mindset or from a fixed mindset to the growth mindset. Once I learn what are the causes and effects I will better underlying question which is "how do we define and understand mindset?".

2 comments:

  1. You sounded like someone who definitely went from a fixed to a growth mindset in your Quick Write. I'm not sure if you understand Dweck's mindset framework based on your reflection. This sentence is confusing: "As you can changed from one mindset to the other with reasons." I would think anyone who has changed their mindset from fixed to growth mindset would want to work hard to stay in that mindset--as you seemed to say in your Quick Write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I said reasons i wasn't quite sure what would make a person change from a growth mindset back to a fixed mindset so i just left it at that, Although i agree with you that once a person has made a transition from a fixed mindset to the growth mindset that they would do anything in order to stay in that mindset and look forward to bigger and better things. However i am thinking that maybe something drastic could occur to make a person revert back to a fixed mindset after being in the growth mindset, Something life altering like going to prison, or losing hope because of a death in the family, or failing so much that you just give up. I'm not so convinced people who have made the change from fixed to growth mindset would ever revert back but I wonder what could make this occur?

      Delete